Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tired of the COLD!

I live in Alabama. Even though we get an actual winter every year, it always comes as a shock to my system when temps dip into the 20s and 30s. It makes me want to just live in my flannel pjs and slippers!

I miss the spring and summer! I miss drinking ice cold beverages to cool me off. I miss working in the yard. I miss sitting on my porch with my coffee and reading the newspaper on the weekends. I miss my less-than-$100-utility-bills-thanks-to-mild-spring-and-fall-weather. I miss hanging my clothes in the sun and having them dry and smelling of sunshine within an hour.

I did at least find one way to cut some of my utility costs. Back in October, I happened upon an interesting article by Joe Wood at Timeless Finance all about "Dollar Store" energy savers. The one I ended up trying was blue dryer balls.

I really ended up liking them! They cut my dryer use way down for the winter time! Clothes that used to take more than an hour to dry, are now done within about 40 minutes. I still use dryer sheets because they don't seem to be ideal for static, but they way they move around in the dryer seems to let the clothes tumble better so I guess improves airflow and lets them dry faster. I just don't have the room to air dry all of my clothes in winter, so these little things have helped a lot!

Now, if the sun will just come out...

4 comments:

  1. I had never heard of those blue balls. Very interesting concept. Are they noisy as they tumble around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, they aren't you hear a bit of thumping, but not bad at all. No where NEAR as noisy as a pair of sneakers in the dryer!

      Delete
  2. Hoo boy, I hear you. I'm in south Texas, and we've had lows in the 30's lately. Misery! At least we've got sun so it warms up nicely, but I tried to sit out with my dogs this morning on the back porch, and it's just too darn chilly. Hoping you get sun soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my pups are pretty much "go out in the yard and take care of business and come right back to the door" right now. They don't like the cold either!

      Delete