Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Sampling of the Empty Nest

I'm used to Princess Penelope traveling --- her father lives 4 hours away, so several times a year she is gone to visit him, whether it be for a few days or a couple of weeks. The quiet house is really nothing new to me. But today, it is just a little bit different.

Ten minutes ago, I stood at the curb and waved as she left for Spring Break. At 5:15 in the morning. With a car full of girlfriends. Heading to Florida for a few days of sun, sand and surf. There will be a chaperone for the trip. I trust the Princess and the other girls not to do anything completely stupid, so while I'm probably going to worry the entire time, I won't be obsessing about it (much). The Princess has earned the trust that allowed me to stand on the curb and wave as they drove off to pick up Spring Breaker #4.

But then I walked back in the house. Thing 1 & Thing 2 gave me a look that clearly said "You let her go? WTH?". The house seems just a little quieter than it normally does after she leaves for a trip. The pups keep going to the window to see if she's back yet. Maybe its the early morning quiet, or maybe its because I'm letting the little bird fly a bit on her own. Whichever it is, this nest is awfully quiet. And I'm not sure I like it.

1 comment:

  1. Aww. It can be hard to take such a sudden break to a routine that has stood for such a long time. I know I took it hard when I had to move! Maybe you'll learn to like it, and by then, she'll be back. Enjoy it while it's there!

    ReplyDelete