Thursday, April 12, 2012

Blackberry Winter

I knew it was coming. I dreaded it. But I knew it would be here. For two weeks the weatherman has been forecasting an April cold snap. The garden books all state that the average last frost date for my Zone is April 15. The blackberry vines have their floweres. And we have a blackberry winter.

For over a month now, we've enjoyed the ease of not having our heat nor our AC running. I know my gas and power bills have enjoyed the break. But yesterday, after a late afternoon rain shower, the temps started dropping. And dropping. By the time I went to bed, the temp inside the house was at 67. Knowing that it wouldn't stay at temp overnight with outside dropping into the 30s, I adjusted the heat to kick on if it got too cold in the house.

And it did. I woke up this morning and the first thing I heard (besides my ever so annoying alarm clock) was the sound of the heat running. Sigh. It was good while it lasted. Hello again to jackets and long sleeves. I truly hope to put you back up where you came from this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment