Sunday, May 13, 2012

Thankful

It was a dark and stormy night....... okay, maybe that's not the best way to start this post be
cause it makes me sound like Snoopy.... but last night was a dark and stormy night. Not severe thunderstorm stormy, but lots of rain and some thunder and lightning to go along with it. Not the kind of night I like the Princess out and about in, but I also know that in 3 months, I have zero control of her comings and goings, so I try not to freak out too much. She's pretty good about letting me know where she is and where she's going, especially on rainy nights since she knows I tend to worry a lot more then (the only wreck I've ever had was due to hydroplaning, so she knows I become basketcase-ish).

Anyway, so I was playing around on FB, chatting with the Garden Geek, when I read a status update from one of the Princess's best friends stating that she had just survived the scariest experience of her life, the car she was riding in had flipped twice, the windows busted out, etc., etc., and it was posted as "near" a suburb where she really had no business being on a dark and stormy night. OMG. Now, I knew the Princess was not with this friend. Mainly because since since Christmas, this friend had, for the most part, ditched the Princess and the other best friend in the trio and had started hanging out some people that were a good bit wilder and making some less-than-mom-approved choices. Nevertheless, I simply adore this child who for years has been like a second child in my household  and was horrified when I read the status update.

So, I called her Mom, who at that moment was on the way to the hospital where the friend had been taken to be checked out. She was okay, they had been wearing their seatbelts so were very lucky indeed. Last night could have been so much worse. We could have been mourning the loss of a sweet funny girl who's lately been making some really bad choices. Instead, we get to be thankful that she's still with us, and pray that last night was a wake-up call for her.

This Mother's Day could have really sucked for us all. Instead, I can sit back and enjoy it... Knowing my Princess is safe and sound in her bed at the moment, and her world wasn't shattered by the events of last night.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment