Thursday, January 17, 2013

Frustrating Doesn't Even BEGIN To Cover It

I am so damn frustrated with the medical profession. They hold your life and the life of your loved ones in their hands, and you definitely see some serious moral superiority. Wow. So, as we were getting ready for my mom to be discharged, a day earlier than we were originally told, the case manager comes up and tells me they have no insurance for her. Really? When I checked her purse after she was admitted, all of her cards and such were exactly where they were supposed to be, except for the insurance stuff. They were loose in the bottom of the purse. Mom said she gave them the info in the ER. So that had to be taken care of.

Then we get home, and have some questions (including getting FMLA leave handled for me --- I've got plenty of sick time and vaycay to get us through this crisis, but I need the paperwork done). Anyway, we called the office of the practice for the two docs on the discharge paperwork. However, their office personnel say Mom isn't their patient because she hadn't had an office visit before the accident and referred us to her general practitioner. Really? Questions about a fracture of the C-2 vertebra need to be referred to a doctor who hasn't treated the injury? I am about to lose my freaking mind.

And at the end of it all, I'd really like to keep my job too. But I HAVE to get this paperwork handled and those keepers of the Gods of Medicine are really starting to piss me off.

3 comments:

  1. That's strange... for your FMLA leave, wouldn't it suffice to bring in Dr's documentation, and if so, is that what you're having issues getting? If they saw her and they're getting paid for her procedures by the ins company, they definitely have the documentation you seek. It appears to me they're either being idiots or a pain without a cause. Hope you can get it all taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom!! Yes, the medical profession is getting crazy. Hope you can work it all out, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying... I twisted my knee and I have been trying to see my regular doctor but becuase they say I owe them 30.00 from 2010 they would not see me... so I tried the other doctor in town and they are not accepting new patients and so I tried the last one and they don't take my insurance..

    ReplyDelete