Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Baked or Fried?

I make quesadillas for dinner on a pretty regular basis. They are easy and you can make them with just about any meat you have leftover, and put just about anything in them. The Princess is always happy with quesadillas.

Generally, I cook them in a skillet, they get all golden brown and yummy and they are a fabulous dinner.... but doing them in the skillet is pretty time consuming. So, a few people at work were telling me they did them in the oven, and it was "just as good" but SOOO much faster.

So tonight, I gave it a try. Hands-on time was definitely reduced. But just as good? Meh. Not so much. They didn't get golden brown, they didn't blend inside the tortillas as well, and they didn't cut into wedges as neatly. I was not a fan. So, I told the Princess to be brutally honest about them.

I shouldn't have asked --- she LIKED the oven baked ones. Sheesh.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. When I use the oven, I often throw in the broiler for a minute or so for good measure. I am not exactly sure why yours didn't mix in as well on the inside. Perhaps you should try pre-mixing the filling? I haven't done quesadillas in the oven before, but I've done empanadas and they are so much faster and so much healthier in the oven than the frying pan, and guess what? Just as tasty and crispy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just use cooking spray in the skillet, so not many additional calories in skillet vs. oven. I just like the way they seem more oozey in the skillet.

      Delete
  2. Brush a little olive oil on the outside of the tortillas, this will make them crispy and cut down on the frying. Have you tried a quesadilla maker. you could probably find one cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't considered a quesadilla maker -- mainly because a skillet is really easy, if a bit more time consuming. I just wasn't thrilled with the outcome of the oven baking. Seemed to dry them out a bit I guess.

      Delete