Monday, May 23, 2011

Not Again

This is supposed to be a look at what goes on in our life as we try to get to where we want to be. Sometimes though, the world outside of our little corner needs attention too.

Since I first hear about the tornado that ripped through Joplin, Missouri yesterday, I haven't been able to get it off my mind. In Alabama, we know about the devestation these storms can bear. We're living it everyday for the past 26 days. Every single edition of the Birmingham News since April 27 has had stories about the tornados on the front page.

So to hear about yesterday's devestation in Missouri, and to see the pictures, and see the videos... well my heart hurts for all of those affected yesterday. And my heart still hurts for those of us affected April 27. I'm hoping and praying that those still missing will be found alive. I'm hoping that those who survived have the strength and heart to move forward and the strength and heart to help their neighbors. I'm hoping that there is hope even when all seems hopeless.

And I'm hoping and praying that we don't all become storm or disaster weary and lose our compassion and willingness to help those in need. The need is great, and will continue for years.I hope that we don't let our disgust with the opportunists that inevitably crop up in the wake of a disaster harden our hearts to those that truly need our help.

And I hope, and sincerely pray that this is it for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment