Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Energy Savings? And Another Epic Fail!

I had posted earlier in the week that I was looking forward to reducing the energy costs this week because Princess Penelope was going to be spending the week at her Dad's. I decided to try raising the thermostat by 2 degrees during the day. That seemed to be okay. The pups weren't overheated when I got home, so that was working well.

Yesterday, I got off of work early because I had a dentist appointment. After the dentist, I came home and thought I'd get a bit done around the house with my "bonus" time. That was not to be. It started clouding up and I was thinking Good! We'll get some rain! Then all hell broke loose again. The wind was whipping, it was raining sideways. I could see trees outside bending almost all the way over. And then it was raining so hard I couldn't see anything out the windows. So, I turned the TV to local broadcasts, not a THING about the weather. I pulled the radar up on my laptop, and that was a big ole ugly puple and red splotch right over us. Then I heard, briefly, that "freight train sound. I shouted for the dogs and ran to our safe place. Just as quickly as I thought I heard it, the noise was gone. But so was the power. And the internet. And the cable. Crap.

After all was said and done, my house had no damage. There are about 30 trees down in the neighborhood, but amazingly, only one actually landed on a house.  I have no idea what actually came through, but it definitely was scary!

One by product of having no power is extreme boredom (espeically when you're home by yourself) and no way of making dinner (I also didn't want to open the fridge or freezer). So, when Singer Girl called and asked if I wanted to grab a bite to eat.... of COURSE I went! Another Epic Fail on the no dining out deal.
When I woke up this morning (from a night of VERY little sleep) - I still had no power. So I took a FREEZING shower and got ready for work. No power = no coffee --- and that doesn't work in my little world. So, I, of course when out and got a latte and breakfast - Another Epic Fail. I then unloaded the contents of the fridge and freezer, bundled up Thing 1 and Thing 2 and took them all over to Brave Friend's house. She is pup sitting for me today and holding all my perishables until I get power back. Power is back on but she's out and about so I have to wait a bit to get  my pups and my food back. Maybe I'll go nap or something.

2 comments:

  1. We had a power outage last summer and that contributed to my epic fail.

    I give you a pass on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and I am glad you are ok!!!!

    ReplyDelete