Sunday, August 28, 2011

Breakfast For Dinner

This weekend, most of my facebook friends have been talking about where they've been grabbing breakfast or brunch. Waffle House, IHOP, Over Easy, Jackson's, Panera, Starbucks.... I was sorely tempted this morning to go out and grab brunch somewhere.... French Toast was calling my name!!!!! But did I need to spend $25+ on breakfast out? Just because I was in the mood? So, I restrained myself.... but the French Toast craving persisted...all day.....and then it occurred to me that I had my Aunt's French Toast Casserole Recipe..... so THIS is what we had for dinner (and excuse the fact that it is half gone, I couldn't find my camera!)....


This was SO easy to make:

5 cups bread cubes
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar, divided
1/4 t. salt
1 T. margarine
2 t. cinnamon, divided

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8x8 casserole dish with cooking spray. Place bread cubes in bottom of dish.
Combine eggs, milk, sugar (reserving 2 T), salt and 1 t. cinnamon until well blended. Pour over bread. Dot with margarine. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over casserole. Bake for 45-50 minutes.

Serve with syrup!

SO easy peasy. And SO good! To go along with it, we also had hasbrown casserole and fresh fruit. Best of all? My French Toast craving was fully satisfied for a fraction of the cost of going out for brunch.

1 comment:

  1. My kids would love this! Thanks for sharing the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete